Friday, September 19, 2014

Day 261 / 365 - We Are Not Ready Yet

Mr. Berkley Donuts. You were my first baby. I remember your tiny little body with those super long ears. You would take off in a run and trip on them and tumble over. Then you would look at me like I was the one that did it. I remember going to look at your brother when your litter was born. I remember it was you who walked up to me, laid on my lap, and would not move. We sat by the fire and talked for hours and there you sat in my lap. I knew it then... we didn't not want your brother you were meant to be our puppy. I remember trying to pick out your name and we picked you up after a fishing adventure and we had a Berkley fishing pole laying next to you. I remember rushing you to the ER when you had kennel cough and were not breathing, your dad ran every red light possible.  I remember the time Grandpa made a fabulous plate of french toast and eggs and went to grab his coffee and when he came back his plate was empty. I remember the way you love your butt scratched. I remember when your bestie in our neighborhood was a great dane... man you two were a weird match playing together. I remember the way my Grandpa Walt looked when we introduced you to him. He held you forever on his bench out in his front yard. He was smiling and laughing about how funny looking you were.  I remember the way you would come and lay by me at times when I am sad and crying. You understood me. You were my dog. I love that people teased me that I turned you into me. You are quiet, even keel, and pretty laid back, you don't like to be messed with and when you are mad people know it.

You lived in a tiny condo with us, you moved out to Arizona with us, and moved to Indiana with us. You have been through it all. You are by far the world's most perfect dog.  (I will not mention the time you chewed my entire Friends DVD collection, all my shoes, our walls, and our blinds ;)) I am so sad to see this part of our life end, you are not our dog.. you are our family. You made this family work together and you were where it all started.  We know our time left with you is now very short, but the memories you are leaving us with will last forever. We are forever grateful for your love.

1 comment:

  1. We love you Berk a derk. My dogs STILL react to his name. You will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete